Insurance Coverage

One of the most important issues to consider when having any work performed is that the contractor has current insurance coverage. This includes three separate coverages that should be in place.

The first is a Workers Compensation Policy. This coverage is required to cover the employees in the event of an injury on your property. The second is Disability Insurance that covers the employees for longer periods of unemployment that result from an injury. The third is a liability policy that covers damages that are a result of the contractor's actions on your property. Ours is The Main Street America Group and Mesa Specialty . It is essential that contractors carry and demonstrate that the proper coverage is in place while any work is performed.

Insurance companies will provide documentation to show the types of coverage. You may also verify a contractors Workers compensation coverage on the state website. Visit the NYS Workers' Compensation Board website to search the database. Be sure you know the correct information before concluding the company does not have coverage. For example, Extreme Tree and Landscape is found by searching its corporate name "Blue Peter Inc" and shows our Workers Compensation Employer #2722088 and the current WC and disability insurance policies.